- Robot doctor. Primitive autodoctors were in use from c. 2050
CE, but sophisticated autonomous models did not become common
until the 2130s.
- Autoservant (also "serv")
- Non-human robot servant, in use from c. 2100 CE.
- Basse's Law
- Mathematical relationship that governs operation of tachyon vesicles in a stardrive unit.
- Borshallan Artificial Intelligences
- From c. TE 75, manufacturers of sapient computers which closely
mimicked Human thought processes. During the First
Terran Empire and Interregnum,
Borshallan Artificial Intelligences produced a series
of increasingly-sophisticated sapient computers.
- Cairo Fever
- Virulent disease which emerged in Africa c. 2005 CE. Sporadic
outbreaks continued in the 2100s CE.
- Personal communications unit, in use from c. 2050 CE.
- Compterm (also "term")
- Personal, portable computer terminal. In use from c. 2000
- Device for exchange of money in First Terran Empire.
- tachyon vesicles, the Ultrawave
Effect, and Tachyon Drive technology
In use from the late days of the Pylistroph
(by nonhumans) and from 2068 CE (by Humans).
- Dekoa Flu
- Virulent disease which emerged in 2016 CE, and continued
sporadic outbreaks well into the 2100s.
- Zero-gravity shaft used as an elevator, in use from c. 2100
- Building material of the First Terran Empire.
- Device which synthesizes foodstuffs from raw organic compounds,
in use from c. 2150 CE on.
- Kabinda Virus
- Virulent disease. First pandemic 2012 - 2014 CE. Later localized
- LAser Detection And Ranging -- a navigational instrument,
in use from c. 2020 CE.
- Laser knife
- Tool (similar in form and function to pocketknife) carried
by Humans from c. 2100 CE. A laser knife could be adjusted (dialled)
to control the dispersion/focus of the beam, intensity, depth
of cut, etc.
- Millennial Flu
- An influenza-like virus, very dangerous. First pandemic c.
2000 CE, with sporadic outbreaks and an averted pandemic in 2042
- (c. 2013 CE) First of a new generation of "benign antivirals,"
designed to be effective against a suite of viruses. Removed
from production & distribution following a worldwide spate
of birth defects in 2014 CE.
- Section of a door which responds to touch (equivalent of
doorknob.) Can be set to respond to only particular palmprints.
Palmplates began to replace doorknobs c. 2020 CE, especially
- Quite Enormous Array (QEA)
- Galaxy-sized astronomical instrument constructed during the
Second Terran Empire.
- Instrument which views the outside universe from tachyon
phase. Based on a refinement of the Ultrawave
copyright © 2004, Don Sakers
All rights reserved